Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cicero's Speech

"But in fact for twenty days we allowed for the sharp edge to go dull by the authority of the senators here. Yes it's true, we have a senatorial decree of that kind, but the decree of that kind is enclosed in the records, just like concealed in the sheath, according to the senatorial decree, it is fitting, Catiline, for you to have been killed immediately. You live, and do not live for putting down boldness, but for strengthen boldness. I desire, assembled fathers, to be forgiving, I desire not to seem negligent in such great danger of the republic, but I now do condemn myself of neglect and of worthlessness.  
The camp were located in Italy against the roman people in laws of Etruria, the number of enemies increased day by day; you see the commander of this camp and the leader of the enemy between the city walls and in fact in the state plotting the certain internal destruction of the republic every day. If you now, Catiline, to be understood, if I will have ordered you to be arrested, Catiline, or to be killed, I believe it will have to be feared by me not all the good men may say that this was done by me too late, but someone may say that this was done by me too cruelly. But for a certain reason I have not yet convinced myself that I should do this thing, which now for a long time ought to have been done. Then finally you will be killed when there is no longer anyone to be found, so wicked, so lost, so similar to you, who might claim that it was not done justly.
As long as there is anyone who would dare defend you, you will live; but you will live just as you live now, having been blocked by my many strong guards, so that you will not go against the republic. The eyes and ears of the many men are watching and guarding you and you will not feel them. Just as they have done up to now."
                                                                 --Cicero

No comments:

Post a Comment